Sometimes finding the inspiration to maintain a clean diet is the hardest thing to do! Especially when the winter weather approaches, however it’s what these naughty treats do to our skin that is a real problem.
The phrase “you are what you eat” sometimes is more true that we realise… never fear we have plenty of recipes here for you!
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY SPICED BLUEBERRY WALNUT SMOOTHIE
- 1 cup homemade walnut milk*
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries (organic if possible)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- handful of ice cubes (optional)
- Add all of the ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your favorite glass and enjoy!
KALE SALAD WITH LEMON VINGARETTE
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
FOR THE MEYER LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- To assemble the salad, place kale in a large bowl; top with avocado, quinoa, pomegranate arils, pecans and goat cheese. Pour the dressing on top of the salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
BLACK BEAN SWEET POTATO CHILI
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- serving suggestions: avocado, cilantro, crema, cheese
- Heat a large heavy bottom pot with the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion if softened.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, black beans and quinoa and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir everything to combine.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the sweet potatoes are soft and the entire mixture is slightly thick like a chili.
- Add the lime juice and remove the pot from the heat. Season with salt as needed.
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro, crema or cheese before serving.
Good Luck! We can’t wait to see you tag us in your recipe creations.